Recent product recalls, plus holiday safety tips

By Robin Melen on December 12, 2012 12:01:00 am

Recalls-blog-art

STEPLADDER/STEPSTOOLS About 20,000 Wing Switch-It stepladder and stepstool combinations sold exclusively at The Home Depot and online at Homedepot.com from August 2012 to October 2012 for about $88. When extended, the inner side rails can separate from the outer side rails causing the user to fall. Wing Enterprises, the importer, has received nine reports of the ladder becoming unstable causing the user to fall and sustain injuries ranging from scrapes and contusions to a fractured collar bone.
IF YOU OWN ONE
Contact Wing Enterprises at 855-595-3378 for information about a free replacement of the front outer section.

MAGNET SETS About 500 high-powered magnet desk toys sold exclusively at Amazon.com/Dynocube.com from July 2011 through April 2012 for about $20. When two or more magnets are swallowed, they can link together inside a child's intestines and clamp onto body tissues, causing intestinal obstructions, perforations, sepsis and death. Internal injury from magnets can pose serious lifelong health effects. The Consumer Product Safety Commission has received 80 reports of incidents involving ingestion of other high powered magnets, resulting in 79 reports seeking medical intervention.
IF YOU OWN ONE Contact Reiss Innovations, the importer, at 866-212-8314 for instructions on returning the magnet sets for a full refund.

Christmas safety tips

Yes, it’s buzz kill time. Tis the season and all, but there are lots of extra things to worry about this time of year. Here’s a list of safety tips from the CPSC and the National Fire Prevention Association:

Trees and decorations

Buying live trees? Check for freshness. A fresh tree is green, its needles are hard to pull from branches, and its needles do not break when bent between your fingers. The bottom of a fresh tree is sticky with resin, and when tapped on the ground, the tree should not lose many needles.

Setting up a tree at home? Place it away from heat sources, such as fireplaces, vents, and radiators. Because heated rooms dry out live trees rapidly, be sure to monitor water levels daily, and keep the tree stand filled with water. Place the tree out of the way of foot traffic, and do not block doorways with the tree.

Buying an artificial tree? Look for the label: “Fire Resistant.” Although this label does not mean that the tree will not catch fire, it does indicate that the tree is more resistant to catching fire.

Decorating a tree in homes with small children? Take special care to avoid sharp, weighted, or breakable decorations. Keep trimmings with small removable parts out of the reach of children, who could swallow or inhale small pieces. Avoid trimmings that resemble candy or food that may tempt a child to eat them.

Candles

Keep burning candles within sight. Extinguish all candles before you go to bed, leave the room, or leave the house.

Keep candles on a stable, heat-resistant surface where kids and pets cannot reach them or knock them over. Lighted candles should be placed away from items that can catch fire, such as trees, other evergreens, decorations, curtains and furniture.

Lights

Use only lights that have been tested for safety by a nationally recognized testing laboratory, such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL). Lights for both indoor and outdoor usage must meet strict requirements that testing laboratories are able to verify. On decorative lights available in stores, UL’s red holographic label signifies that the product meets safety requirements for indoor and outdoor usage. UL’s green holographic label, signifies that the product meets requirements for only indoor usage.

Check each set of lights, new or old, for broken or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires, or loose connections. Throw out damaged sets and do not use electric lights on a metallic tree.

Check each extension cord to make sure it is rated for the intended use and is in good condition. Do not use cords with cuts or signs of fraying.

Check outdoor lights for labels showing that the lights have been certified for outdoor use, and only plug them into a ground-fault circuit interrupter (GFCI)-protected receptacle or a portable GFCI.

Fireplaces

Use care with “fire salts,” which produce colored flames when thrown onto wood fires. Fire salts contain heavy metals that can cause intense gastrointestinal irritation and vomiting, if swallowed. Keep them away from children.

Do not burn wrapping papers in the fireplace. A flash fire may result because wrappings can ignite suddenly and burn intensely.

Subscribe to ShopSmart today!
Robin Melen

Robin Melen

Posted at 12:01:00 AM in
Consumer protection | Family | Featured | Health & Safety | Holidays | Home & Yard | Kids' safety | Recalls | Robin Melen | Safety | Shopping

Print This Page

Post a Comment

All comments are reviewed by our moderators, and will not appear on this blog unless they have been approved. Comments that do not relate directly to the blog entry's contents, are commercial in nature, contain objectionable or inappropriate material, or otherwise violate our User Agreement or Privacy Policy, will not be approved. Approved posts generally appear within 24 hours of receipt. For general inquiries not related to this blog, please contact Customer Service.

If you have a TypeKey or TypePad account, please Sign In