How to save on clothes

By Jody Rohlena on September 10, 2012 06:00:00 pm

Save_on_clothes

When someone says “shopping,” that means fun to me, in the “spree” sense of the word—though, sadly, not with the free-wheeling who-cares-about-the-price-tag attitude! We’re not talking about routine errands like buying groceries or shampoo or supplies for a home-improvement project. We’re talking about shopping for clothes (shoes and jewelry too!).

So it’s about time we did a story about how to shop smarter for clothes, huh? It’s our October cover story, and it’s a fun peek at some hot trends for fall, plus perennial faves like t-shirts and comfy workout wear. We’ll tell you what each retailer does best, plus what’s new in stores, from new fashion lines to innovations like free Wi-fi (thanks, Macy’s and Nordstrom!), and give you specific savings strategies for each retailer.

Our roundup includes Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, Gap, Old Navy, Sears, JCPenney, Target, Kohl’s, and Bluefly.com, as well as the two department stores mentioned earlier and a must-read collection of the best clothing sites you’re not shopping yet.

A lot of this list was inspired by my own closet. I’ve been raving about the Gap’s T-shirts for years. The v-necks are perfect—flattering and not too low-cut—and when you hit a sale, they’re super cheap (I think $6 is my record). My boyfriend got me some great workout gear from Old Navy last Christmas. Yes, Old Navy – who knew?

And Target has great bras and panties at super-reasonable prices. We’ve looked at bras twice in the past, asking staffers and bra-fitting pros for their opinions, and both times Target’s Gilligan & O’Malley bras have won raves. Best of all, they start at around $12!

Now that fall is here (yep, that chill is in the air!), I’m hitting stores for some luxe-looking jewel tones. Banana Republic has yummy sweaters in rich fall colors. And I think it’s time I give the new JCPenney another look, especially the Nicole Miller line. What are you loving this fall? I’d love to hear what you’re buying, plus any tricks you use to save money.

Jody Rohlena

Jody Rohlena

Posted at 06:00:00 PM in
Beauty & Fashion

Print This Page

Charlene

01:09:22 AM on Wed Sep 12 2012

I love your magazine I buy it when I can afford to. Your info helps me a great deal especially since I struggle quite often financially. I would like to know how can I get some of your past issues such as your may issue & do I ave to pay full price since its an old issue. Thank for your time. Stay blessed.

Carol Cavette

05:10:41 PM on Mon Sep 17 2012

I love this magazine! I look forward to each issue and learn something new with every issue. I share info with family and friends. I'm thinking about giving gift subscriptions this year!
Thanks for the great product!
Carol

Brenda

12:18:58 AM on Wed Sep 19 2012

Does anyone know where I can obtain past issues? Such as January-August 2012?

Robin Melen

04:34:23 PM on Thu Sep 20 2012

Hi Brenda! You can get single back issues of ShopSmart for $6.99 apiece. Send a note with the issue date and check to: ShopSmart, Attn: Customer Relations Dept., 101 Truman Ave., Yonkers, NY 10703-1057.
Thanks for reading!
robin

Mary

07:51:07 PM on Mon Sep 24 2012

I always borrow copies from the local library. As long as it is not the most recent edition they allow it to be checked out for three weeks at a time. I photocopy any information I want to save.

Beth

06:05:14 PM on Tue Oct 2 2012

Mary, that is a fantastic idea!
Charlene, I know how hard it is to struggle with little funds.
One of the biggest reasons I pay for my Consumer Reports, getting the best buy for my dollar.

Charlene, if you read this email, please send me an email. Maybe we could figure some way for you to get the magazine.

Stay blessed and happy.

Beth

Lisa

01:37:13 PM on Fri Oct 12 2012

I am an avid Consumer Reports reader and longtime consumer advocate. (I even met Ralph Nader in 1980!) 😉
I rarely make a large purchase without checking the CR rating. Since I subscribe online, this task it über easy!
I now enjoy the Shopsmartmag and would like the same convenience the CR offers with the online subscription. When can us diehard fans expect that?

Robin Melen

01:52:00 PM on Fri Oct 12 2012

Oh Lisa, thank you! Someday, someday, we will have a strong online presence, we promise. In the meantime, keep reading, and keep fighting the good fight!
robin

Heidi

11:32:33 AM on Fri Nov 2 2012

You can check out past issues of both Consumer Reports and Shop Smart magazine for free at your local public library. Current issues of both magazines are also available at your local library. Hope that helps.

Heidi

11:47:02 AM on Fri Nov 2 2012

I also wanted to mention that your local public library has everything - popular current best sellers (both fiction and non-fiction) movies, music, magazines, newspapers, free internet computer stations, free wi-fi, free downloads for your e-readers, children's and adult programing, etc. all you need is a library card. Libraries are such an amazing value regardless if you are on a budget or not. If you have not been to your local library lately stop in and take a look, you will be amazed at all they have to offer.

veronica

12:12:41 PM on Wed Nov 28 2012

Dear Jody:
Thanks for the article "How to save on clothes." I read it and made copies at my local library. Unfortunately I lost those copies and I went back to the library to get them back but the magazine of October edition is no longer there. I looked online at the website of ShopSmart magazine but there is no the information about the sites where to buy clothes. Please, can you tell me how to get the entire article including the websites in that article; because I really need them now to start my Christmas shopping.

Sincerely,
Veronica

Robin Melen

03:16:16 PM on Wed Nov 28 2012

Hi Veronica!
Here are some of the websites we mentioned in that story:

99dresses.com
Amazon.com/fashion
DesignerApparel.com
GoJane.com
stores.ebay.com/Lindas-Stuff
needsupply.com
refashioner.com
Revolveclothing.com
tobi.com

Happy shopping!

Vanessa

08:52:43 PM on Wed Dec 5 2012

I wonder how women can buy clothing online. It seems to me that every piece of clothing fits DIFFERENTLY, even when it's made by the same company. I've even seen different fits in the same piece in a different color! And SHOES...well, that's a problem in itself. Given how uncomfortable so many shoes are, I can't imagine how anyone can buy them online. I know most items can be returned but that's too much of a hassle for me. So there's no way I can buy clothes or shoes online, much as I would like to. What am I missing? How do other folks fare with their online purchases? It's sad...I look at the fashions and drool over them. I would love to know how many people are disappointed with what they get...have any surveys been done and published on this topic?

Anna Cramer

11:27:54 AM on Wed Jan 16 2013

Did I see an article that had a web site for selling used clothing? I can't seem to find it in the magazine. Maybe it was in a previous issue.

Robin Melen

02:59:30 PM on Wed Jan 23 2013

Hi Anna~
We can't figure out what site you mean. Maybe your fellow readers have some ideas?
Thanks for reading ShopSmart!
robin