Tips for buying birthday gifts for kids

By Jamie Schaefer-Wilson on April 16, 2009 12:01:00 am

IKidgiftsf you have a toddler or a pre-teen, it probably seems like there’s a birthday party every other weekend … and you are probably right. You go out to the toy store, get a gift, come back … and there’s yet another invitation.
I used to find myself spending lots of time scouring shelves looking for just the right gift or for something that I’d bought in the past that seemed like a big hit and was both appropriate and affordable. But I’ve learned some shopping lessons I’d like to share.
First of all, I no longer purchase one gift at a time. I know that my children have many kids in their class, so I often try to purchase two or three gifts (or more) at once. It saves time, gas, and sometimes money. Here are some tips:

•    You don’t need to purchase a gift the day you receive an invitation. Wait for a day of a big sale and plan to make that big multiple-gift-shopping day.
•    Look for online coupons.
•    Don’t purchase gifts that are strictly for a boy or strictly for a girl. For a toddler, those giant puzzles are wonderful, as are books. You can purchase several and parse them out as needed for a boy or a girl.
•    For a child who is approaching 7 or 8 years old, you can buy science kits, cooking kits, or educational toys.
•    Talk to your local toy store and find out if they will give you a discount if you purchase in quantity. I was able to secure a discount when purchasing several gifts of the same type from a small merchant.
•    Avoid no-name toys. If a toy doesn’t have a manufacturer name and model number, don’t bother. If it is later recalled, it may be difficult or impossible to check.

And most important: Remember to keep safety in mind when buying a child’s gift of any type. In tomorrow’s blog, I’ll tell you about some important safety tips you will need while buying a toys for kids.

Jamie Schaefer-Wilson

Jamie Schaefer-Wilson

Posted at 12:01:00 AM in
Family

Print This Page

Rita

02:21:30 AM on Sat Apr 18 2009

Helpful post. My daughter has five-year-old twins and she's always shopping for a birthday present for school mates and friends.

I'll link to your post on my blog for baby boomer consumers.

Rita

philippines gift

02:11:35 AM on Mon May 25 2009

These tips was really good and helpful. I will also show this post to my mom to save more money.

-krisha-

Larry Coupons

12:06:23 PM on Mon Jun 15 2009

I bought a gift for my child last week and he liked it very much!
I used one coupon code which saved me $12 on my order!

Richard Sharpe

12:12:01 PM on Mon Sep 7 2009

I often purchase in advance when the sales are on, the downside is always end up giving these gifts to my daughter and end up having to go out and buy more!

auctions

01:26:30 AM on Tue Oct 13 2009

These tips were really good and helpful. I will also refer this post to my friend to save more money.

Dating

01:27:41 AM on Tue Oct 13 2009

This was liked by my son very much..Thanks for this info

ClubPenguinCheats

02:50:03 AM on Tue Mar 16 2010

All comments are reviewed by our moderators, and will not appear on this blog unless they have been approved. Comments that do not relate directly to the blog entry's contents, are commercial in nature, contain objectionable or inappropriate material, or otherwise violate our User Agreement or Privacy Policy, will not be approved. Approved posts generally appear within 24 hours of receipt. For general inquiries not related to this blog, please contact Customer Service.

If you have a TypeKey or TypePad account, please Sign In